[Alt-photo] casein on glass

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Thu May 30 00:30:50 UTC 2013

hi,
I tried casein on glass, and was really surprised how well one print out of 4 came out. Others, user error. I found two glass shelves abandoned behind our garage. I cleaned them and cut into total of four pieces. I mixed my normal mixture and tried three different ways of coating. Two was smoothened with a foam roller, and they gave a very even layer. One I brushed over and over again with a foam brush, quite a good coating. One was just brushed and left to dry as such.

First I exposed the foam roller coated one for 2 mins, but that was way too short, developing all the casein came off. Then I exposed the brushed one, the brushed until dry, and that came as a usable print. I probably stacked the glasses too early (having a paper between them), because the two bottom glasses had marks, just like two wet glasses together. The glasses were touch dry, but should have dried more thoroughly. But developing, the foam rolled left only parts of the image and the brushed was washed clean.

The shelf is too thick, first the stacking, there was too much pressure on the bottom glasses. The print that was almost good, doesn't look good placed on a white paper. The thickness gives disturbing shadows.

But one really good thing is, that a ruined print can be washed, and the glass used again.

Jorj, really nice pictures, I got similar density as in your Fire Bikes (one coating?). How thick or thin glass do you use?

thanks

-matti