[Alt-photo] Re: casein on glass

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Thu May 30 08:31:31 UTC 2013

On May 30, 2013, at 4:29 AM, Jorj Bauer <jorj at jorj.org> wrote:

>> I tried casein on glass, and was really surprised how well one print out of 4 came out. Others, user error.
>
> You're doing a lot better than I did. I printed months of the stuff trying to get it working the first time. :)
well, mine took just about 2 years. Banging my head, until trying on glass! I never tried on good quality paper, always on the same Daler&Rowney's watercolour pad, which is good enough for cyanos.

>  backlight my glass prints. I also print them on 3/16" glass, printing on both the front and back of each of three panes - two C, two M, two Y (or sometimes just one Y, on the back of the frontmost pane to avoid having to use an extra protective sheet up front).

>> Jorj, really nice pictures, I got similar density as in your Fire Bikes (one coating?). How thick or thin glass do you use?
>
> Fire Bikes is on Rives BFK, actually. That's Burning Man playa dust, suspended in casein; probably 3 or 4 layers. No other pigment which is why it's so thin.
>
> Of that set on Flickr, there are two on glass - She Drank a Little Whiskey, and Marching Ever Onward. They're two of my early glass prints (I think Marching was my first, and Whiskey might be my second or third), each only one layer of casein per pane of glass. So they're both very thick; probably 6 or 7 panes each. I really like the parallax of the color separations on their own layer; it really needs to be seen in person.
>
> -- Jorj
now it's the immense task to find the proper PS-curve, On Jalo's book, there's one picture of tens of ChartThrob prints hanging drying.

thanks

-matti