[Alt-photo] Re: VERDICT ON FUMED SILICA?

clay harmon's personal website email account clay at clayharmon.com
Thu May 30 19:59:51 UTC 2013

I've been using sulfamic for buffer neutralization on my palladium prints for the last month. It works very well, even on heavily buffered papers like Fabriano Extra White. I am getting measured Dmax values of 1.4 or better on all the papers I have tried so far  (Rives BFK, Twinrocker, Moulin de Gue and Whatman's Printmaker). I am not as happy with it as the only clearing agent - I seem to still have some residual ferric oxalate in the paper if sulfamic acid is the only clearing agent I use. But  a regimen of a first bath of disodium EDTA followed by two baths of Hypoclear with Tetrasodium EDTA added to it seems to work extremely well.

My experience with fumed silica has been mixed. It works very well on some papers (twinrocker in particular), but not as well on others. I am getting richer prints on Fabriano Extra White using the sulfamic acid approach than when I used the fumed silica.

-Clay