[Alt-photo] Re: Papers for Palladium

francis schanberger frangst at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 23:46:08 UTC 2013

When I coat a 9" x 12" piece of Tosa washi, I usually have three
 overlapping "rows" moving from right to left. When I finish the third row,
I begin brushing from the far side bottom to top or from closest to me to
furthest from me. Usually there are four of these "columns". The unsized
paper will allow the chemistry to spread to the neighboring column or row.
It works well enough for a camera based image. For one of my scanner based
botanicals, the sheer surface area needed to be the densest is when this
brushing technique fails. For these images, I double coat with the paper
rotated 180 degrees.

Coating must be done with the paper on top of felt just like Japanese and
Chinese calligraphy.

Nishimaru and the paper makers opted for the thin weight to make the paper
as archival as possible (easy to wash out the iron salts). They are calling
platinum prints on this paper, 500 year photographs.