[Alt-photo] Re: lump gum

Don donsbryant at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 13:49:47 UTC 2013

I've never used lump gum but you could pulverize the dry lump gum in a dry
food blender or drink mixer. With persistence the gum lumps should become
rather small or powdery. You can then weight a quantity and mix in a blender
with distilled water with a touch of thymol. This will make a foamy solution
but it is quite usable and the foam condenses rather quickly. I usually let
my mix sit over night in a sealed container which allows the mix to become
homogeneous.

Store in a sealed container and decant as needed for use.

There has to be a European source for powdered gum, perhaps our euro members
can suggest a good source.

Don

Previously, I had used pre-mixed gum arabic and also the powdered
version which I mixed myself, but then I ran out. The pre-mixed is so
expensive to ship, and I couldn't find the powdered stuff online, so I
ordered lump gum which I've never used.