[Alt-photo] UV lighting

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Sat Oct 19 13:53:35 UTC 2013

I had been using a vacuum light unit (used by plate or screen printers
at my local printmakers' studio) for my UV exposures which worked great,
but the bulb burned out (and no plans by them to replace).

My alternative is one of these:
http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/Philips%20HPR125.htm
which someone from this list was kind enough to send me a few years back
(thanks John if you are still here!). Has anyone used one of these? I'm
assuming this will be good for smaller sized prints - the specs say the
angle of the reflector is 30°. Would it be possible to move the bulb
farther away for a larger size, or somehow use reflective material to
increase the area size, or is this bulb just not powerful enough for
that? Also, do I need to use a fan with this lamp? I am thinking of
putting it inside the printing unit below the vacuum press.

If this lamp doesn't work when I decide to go larger, I'm limited to
either what's available locally or what I can order on the internet.
What's available here are grow lights, fluorescent or mercury halide. My
confusion lies in the fact that these are listed in color temperature,
whereas recommendations for gum printing are usually given in
wavelengths. Is there a correlation between color temperature and
wavelength? Is higher color temperature necessarily better (do they
produce more UV in the suitable wavelength)?

Thanks!
Laura