[Alt-photo] speaking of videos...

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 23:53:12 UTC 2013

Dear All,

This is somewhat embarrassing to share this but here goes. I was sent this link today by someone at my university who is not in the arts.

Here is an article and then at the bottom a video about gum printing that appeared in the MSU Mountains and Minds magazine. I had previously posted the video link to my Facebook page, but the actual article is now up online (though the "how-to" about gum and casein was not included, another page or so).

The magazine is sent throughout the university and to alumni and donors. It is geared to the non-photographer. I am pleased for two reasons: that they highlighted a faculty from the arts  in the magazine. And that maybe just MAYBE people will understand what it is that we do!

The article was written by a MSU writer who took my alt class this past spring, Sepp Jannotta.

The article is fairly uncomplex for this list who is so well versed in alt, as it is geared to the non-photographer.

I am very pleased that it highlights my two alt mentors, Rudi Dietrich who taught me gum first at MSU and then Sam Wang at graduate school. I think Sam has influenced a fair number of people throughout the States and even world now, with his connections in China.

And in relation to APIS, it was at an APIS conference that I first met Sam and saw his gum prints.

This list would find this funny: the work I am doing in the video is all casein not gum. Those of you who gum print will realize that if you sprayed a gum print that close and hard, it might grain it up quite a bit. Casein? Not so much.

Chris

http://www.montana.edu/mountainsandminds/article.php?article=12194

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/