[Alt-photo] Re: choice of paper for Pt and gum over Pt prints - was Re: Re: Replacement paper for Arches Aquarelle

Serdar Bilici sbilici at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 23:17:21 UTC 2014

Dear Diana,

In parallel to Stan Klimek's experience with BFK Rives printmaking
paper, I had superior dMax with printmaking papers (gravure papers
specifically) compared to watercolor papers. Printmaking papers unlike
watercolor papers have no or very little surface sizing. They are very
absorbent due to lack of extra sizing. They retain good amount of
sensitizer, but they can be easily abraded due to lack of surface
sizing too. Although the idea of better dmax is attractive, the
coating requires more care imo.

If you read the previous comments on the APUG forum, you will see Stan
Klimek was not able to use Fabriano Artistico TW HP 200gsm with oxalic
acid treatment. I had the same experience, that particular paper was
the reason I looked for an alternative acid to de-calcify papers.
Sulfamic acid treatment works with every paper with every alkaline
sensitive process and the paper remains free of acid-base reaction
byproducts.

P.S. - Irving Penn might have de-calcified his papers and even might
have re-alkalized his papers after printing. It is not clear according
to this informative post on the same blog. There are more interesting
articles on Irving Penn and his prints on the blog.
https://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/category/irving-penn-2/page/3/

Best Regards
Serdar