[Alt-photo] Mike Ware's updated e-book on the cyanotype process available for download

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 27 14:01:36 UTC 2014

Dear Alt -photo,

Recently I was conversing via email with Dr. Mike Ware re, the
cyanotype process. He mention that he would be releasing an update to his book:
  Cyanotype: The History, Science and Art of Photographic Printing in
Prussian Blue which is out of print but still viewable in parts
through Google Books. With permission, I have copied his note
containing the included link to the now freely downloadable updated version.

Peter Friedrichsen
===========================

Greetings Friends,

The first monograph on Cyanotype was published by the Science Museum
of London in 1999, but has long been totally out of print, and only
accessible as a digitized part-version online at Google Books. My
book was devoted to the study of photographic printing in Prussian
blue, engaging with its history, aesthetics, practice, conservation
and chemistry. Now, in response to kind requests, I have
substantially restructured this text in a revised and extended
edition that I intend to make freely available as a download from the
World Wide Web as a 5.3 MB pdf:

<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47727259/Cyanomicon.pdf>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47727259/Cyanomicon.pdf

For the time being, it will remain largely unillustrated. With its
700+ references to the literature and the WWW, my hope is that it may
occasionally serve as a useful resource for historians, curators and
conservators of photographs, and for students of iron-based analogue
imaging (siderotype) - should any of these good folk ever find
themselves as castaways upon the strange blue shores of cyanotype.
For those other shipwrecked mariners - photographic artists exploring
cyanotype printmaking as an expressive medium - I have included full
practical instruction in the modern process.

With all good wishes for 2014,

Mike