Re: Luminos (Kentmere) non supercoated paper

Henk Thijs (tys@masadm1.mas.eurocontrol.be)
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 14:10:20 GMT

Sandy wrote:
>I obtained a box of Luminos SW ART paper, contrast #2,
>manufactured by Kentemere. According to Steve White
>at Luminos this is the only non supercoated paper in
>manufacture anywhere in the world. (Meanwhile, I am
>following up on an earlier post indicating that the entire
>brand of Kentmere Kentint RC papers are non supercoated.)
>
>I tested the paper this past evening and the results are
>very encouraging. Without question this paper has better
>take-off than any other I have used in carbro printing.
>To test, I made enlarged bromides of a Stouffer gray scale, on
>both the Kentmere non supercoated paper and the Kodak
>Polycontrast III, N Surface, developed together in D-72
>1:2. The Kentmere and Poly bromides were then used to
>make carbros. The silver bromides and carbros were then
>read with a reflection densitometer, with the following readings:
Dear Sandy,
Just one quick remark: via Per from Norway -on this list- I learned about a
paper made in Kroatie, named Fotokemika Bromoil; I ordered this in Norway, and
my first try-outs were astonishing. In a positive sense. I tried Kentmere
DocArt, David Lewis Bromoil, Ilford FB Multigrade , Record Rapid Agfa and the
japanese Sterling paper ( the coated ones with the 'Whalley' method).
I only can say that the Fotokemika paper is behaving in a sense mentioned in
the old bromoil books. You clearly see the relief, eyes are jumping out of the
paper!, inking is really easy compared with all the other papers.
Give more info later,
greetings Henk, the Netherlands