bromoil

jacobberger@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:00:17 EST

Ohio University Electronic Communication

Date: 17-Jan-1996 06:38pm EST

To: Remote Addressee ( _MX%"alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au" )

From: Jennifer Jacobberger Dept: College of Osteopathic Medicine
JACOBBERGER Tel No:

Subject: bromoil

I'm new to this list, and not sure that this will get through appropriately or
not, but............I've been reading about bromoil for some time now (but we
all know that theory and practice are not always the same thing), and so today I
gave my first try. (Dismal, to say the least). I printed on Luminos SW-Art
(non-supercoated), developed in ethol LPD diluted 1:8 for two minutes, rinsed in
water, then had two baths of sodium thiosulfate (for a total of 6 minutes),
washed for 30 minutes, bleached (10 ml 28% acetic acid/30 g copper sulfate/30 g
potassium bromide/2 g potassium dichromate/H20 to make 1000-formula in "Keepers
of the Light"), with the bleach diluted 1:3, sodium thiosulfate 5 minutes, then
washed another 30 min. I dried the prints and resoaked them before trying to
ink them, as recommended. The ink took to everything everywhere, and although
there was a VERY faint hint of a start of an image (with a COMPLETE loss of
detail) the image was reversed, blacks being slightly lighter, etc. I fooled
around with it for a long time, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to go
anywhere. Ethol LPD as a developer was recommended in "Keepers of the Light" as
a non-hardening developer-is it really? I also wasn't thinking and mixed the
bleach with tap water, although it is filtered. Is there something that I am
missing? I assume that the gelatin was hardened all across the board by
something, but why is the image reversing? Help, help, help!!!

Thanks,

Jennifer Jacobberger
Ohio University
jacobberger@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu.