Re: Contact printing frames

Carol Janet Quartin (cjquartin@earthlink.net)
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 21:26:52 -0500

>On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Keith Schreiber wrote:
>
>> Regarding contact printing frames, Don Ginthner of Great Basin
>> Photographic makes by far the best ones I've yet seen. Far superior
>> to Gravity Works or Premier. They are made of walnut, beautifully
>> finished with very beefy hardware and in a wide range of sizes
>> including non-standard sizes. He will also make custom sizes. I
>> don't have his address here today but if anyone is interested let me
>> know and I'll post it later. He also has email.
>
>Keith, you don't mention price......? But what I'm most skeptical about is
>the contact. I've NEVER seen reliable contact in a contact frame greater
>than 11x14, or even 8x10...... despite enough padding added to crack
>the glass. How do you judge contact? I examine the numbers on the 21-step
>with a loupe, and have yet to find anything in these sizes where the
>numbers are as sharp and thin as with vacuum frame.... I've decided it's
>OK, I'm not doing total sharp, or that's what I keep telling myself, but
>it's bound to be an issue when spending big bucks for big frame.
>
>Also, items of this sort with the "beefy hardware" and heavy construction
>are not necessarily something a little old lady like I could heft... What
>do they weigh, compared to, say, the Premier we know and hate...?
>
>Meanwhile, thanks for the info. (Isn't it a drag when you keep getting
>more more more questions?)
>
>Judy
>Well I concure...Don made me two 18x22 size frames at an exceptional
>price...I have never had a problem with them...Such care is given to every
>detail, the edges of both metal and wood are all very smooth.
>
>don't know about email but here's his address and phone:
>
> Great Basin Photographic
> HCR 33 Box 2
> Las Vegas, NV 89124
> 702-363-1900
>
>CJ

Judy,
The above was my reply to Keith's mention of The Best Contact Frames I've
ever seen...
As I said above...I own two 18x22 frames (which he made me for $320 total)
I use these frames for my palladium printing and have NEVER had a problem
of contact...He seems to use very strong spring clips for the back that
make for a very tight fit.
As for the weight...I placed mine on my bathroom scale (which is only
marginally accurate) and it read 10 lbs I think they are only a little
heavier than the premier frames...but the are far superior in
construction...
Price wise...(these may not be current as of my order from last year)
8x10....$80.00
11x14...$95.00 He also make them in custom sizes as he did for me.
16x20...120.00
20x24...$195.00

I decided to help answer because I thought Keith mentioned he'd be out of
the loop for a while...
Hope I helped...

CJ