Re:waterproof/removable glue

Sam Wang (stmwang@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:43:41 -0500 (EST)

> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
>
> Looking for an idea:
>
> I've been trying on and off for several years to find a way of holding
> paper *rigid* for re-registering subsequent coats in gum printing. Taping
> the paper to glass (or aluminum or other rigid support) around the edges
> has been suggested, but doesn't work unless the paper is so heavy that you
> don't need it anyway (at least in my experience) because when it gets wet
> all but the toughest, thickest paper buckles, and the buckles don't as a
> rule come out entirely, either before you expose (so you can't re-register
> perfectly anyway) or before the next coat. (I've even had trouble ironing
> them out of a finished print.)

I've been pondering the possibilities (how great minds meet! :-) ) also,
since registration of tricolor gum becomes a nightmare when the sizes get
beyond 12 inches or so. The glue that I came up with is simply our ol'
friend, gelatin. What I have in mind is to put a ribbon of gelatine along
the outside edges of the back of the paper and stick the paper on
something rigid, i.e. aluminum or glass, or maybe plexiglass, etc. After
all processing has been done, soak the combo in warm water to remove the
paper from the backing material, leaving no harmful residue. Has anybody
done something like this? Is there any reason it won't work?

Sam Wang
stmwang@hubcap.clemson.edu