Re: Books on cyanotype/Copyrights?

Carson Graves x4692 3NE (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 96 09:37:22 EST

rcothren@comp.uark.edu (Russell Cothren) writes:

> Teachers copy stuff all of the time for educational purposes. Is it
> unlawful if it is for educational purposes ONLY? I will have to go through
> my
> copuright books again, but i think it is allowed for educational purposes
> only. Are you profiting from these lectures?

To the extent that the teachers make copies of copyrighted material,
they are breaking the law. It used to be standard practice for college
instructors to ask for "desk copies" of text books and then send
chapters to the local campus copy center for replication for the whole
class. Finally, the textbook publishers got wise and started cracking
down on this (IMO sleazy) practice. I do have sympathy for wanting to
avoid the high cost of text books, but this is not the way to do it.

Now a question: Is making slides from book illustrations any different?
For example, if a photograph is over 50 years old, is the image in the
public domain, or does the fact that the image has been reproduced in a
copyrighted book also copyright the image? Any copyright attorneys out
there? (opinions from Perry Mason wannabes gladly accepted)

Carson Graves
carson@ileaf.com