Re: Copy of: Detail in gum prints

Peter charles fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:35:14 +0100

>From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
>RE: Copy of: Detail in gum prints
>
>Sandy King asks who out there is going to claim that gum does not give detail.

>it was possible using dichromated
>albumen rather than gloy or gum arabic.

>Note for Judy Seigel: the ball has been set in motion.
>
>Terry King

Welcome Terry,

Beware he who sows the wind, reaps the whirlwind. however it is great to
get someone else proposing alternatives to the classic gum printing
process I have begun to feel a bit lonely in this respect, a single voice
in the Photo-Alt world championing the use of the humble egg as a colloid
superior in some respects to either generic gum arabic or gloy gum.

I started employing this colloid ten years ago when faced with a series of
advertising commissions, which needed a gum type image treatment, only to
find deadlines almost impossible to meet due to the time consuming nature
of the classic process. My prime concern at that time was speed not
definition,because of its remarkable adhesive quality I could use it on a
plastic base which increased the speed of the process tenfold, and without
the previous flaking off problems encountered with Gloy gum.

Having tested egg white { albumen }, egg yolk { tempera } and whole egg,
the whole egg compound proved to be more useful from my stand point ,
all three emulsions worked well , I chose the simplest method to mix ,which
with the inclusion of pigment and amm dichromate , I christened the
process Fotempera for obvious reasons.This new colloid proved to be
remarkably sharp in terms of tonal definition and very transparent which
significantly increased colour saturation, an added bonus.

The rationale and development of this process was published in the British
Journal Photography of 9th April 1992, now I am electronic, I intend to get
the article scanned ,so that I can send it out to any body who might be
interested. However, what I do have is my student handout
sheets ,which will probably be more use than me rambling on so please
e:mail me and I will send them out as soon as possible.

Knowing the storms to come, I just felt I must support Terry in what maybe
a long thread rather like a boat adrift on a very blustery sea , but
knowing Terry as the master mariner he is I am sure he will keep it afloat
!

pete