Re: Copyrights

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:03:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Peter Marshall wrote:
> The idea of the lending library has surely crossed the Atlantic (most of
> ours actually came from some guy called Carnegie.) We also have a sort of
> national system where if your library hasn't got a book it can be obtained
> for you from elsewhere. So in theory one copy of a book could be used to
> make slides for every photo course in the country!

Well, in this we see again how superior the English system is to the
American. Odds of my getting a book from the LENDING LIBRARY with
photographs I would care to copy are slim indeed. I did once see a fella
with a leica shoot page after page of text from ancient BJP in library,
but that was before the library had copy machines, tho the paper might
have been too fragile, as well as too large, for the machine in any event.
He was standing up in chair, leaning over table, going click click
click.... very distracting to us scholars.

Judy