libraries (was Re: Copyrights)

Jim Spiri (plyboy@teleport.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:46:29 -0800

>On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Peter Marshall wrote:
>> The idea of the lending library has surely crossed the Atlantic (most of
>> ours actually came from some guy called Carnegie.) We also have a sort of
>> national system where if your library hasn't got a book it can be obtained
>> for you from elsewhere. So in theory one copy of a book could be used to
>> make slides for every photo course in the country!
>
>Well, in this we see again how superior the English system is to the
>American. Odds of my getting a book from the LENDING LIBRARY with
>photographs I would care to copy are slim indeed. I did once see a fella
>with a leica shoot page after page of text from ancient BJP in library,
>but that was before the library had copy machines, tho the paper might
>have been too fragile, as well as too large, for the machine in any event.
>He was standing up in chair, leaning over table, going click click
>click.... very distracting to us scholars.
>
>Judy

when i first lived in NYC (about '80) i could go to the main library and
request any book from the stacks. I remember one by Fritz Henle ("Mr.
Rollieflex") which had a photographic chart of the "6 types of [female]
breast," only one of which was suitable for photography. Some months later,
it was all on microfilm...

We do have a great Inter-Library loan system for universities here (USA),
though. I got a couple of Luis' books that way (one came from a college in
Canada, i recall), and J.P. Witkin's MA thesis, "revolt of the mystical" (i
was sick then, but i'm better now). You can get anyone's thesis, and copies
of magazine articles, etc. This was a Long Time Ago, of course. Also, when
at the University of California, Santa Cruz, i heard that the school had a
complete collection of Camerawork donated by Graham Nash. I not only got to
look at them at my leisure (w/ white gloves, and some of the pages had never
even been cut after binding...), but hauled in my 5x7 and lights to bang
away. Sometimes you just have to be nice (and persistent).
Plywood and Rhetoric: Graphic Design from Both Sides of the Brain
http://www.teleport.com/~plyboy