Re: Web Copyright

Bill Lowenburg (lowenbur@epix.net)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 05:38:32 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, John Malcolm wrote:

> Since there seems to be consensus on this list that *it is a good thing* to
> share images, it also seems to me that we have even less control of them
> than hard copy publishing methods. Is it time to rethink the notion of
> creative ownership? If it can't be effectively policed globally, does it
> have meaning? This person had the courtesy to contact me but how many others
> could have used the image without acknowledgement?
> Byron Bignalls Pinhole Home Page at
>
> http://www1.goodmedia.com/bignell/jmalcolm.html

I guess I want to go on record as one of the non-consensus members of the
list. I don't think images should be shared. If you want to use something
that belongs to someone else you should compensate them in some way. Cash
isn't always necessary, though at times it is appropriate, and comes in
handy. I followed a little of the copyright thread on this list recently
until I got fed up with the grad students and professors who cop out on
the issue of compensation to the artist in the interest of education.
Educational institutions and students, both need to be
responsible in this area, in my opinion, since one of the functions of
education is to get people ready for living in the *real world*, whatever
that is.

It doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people until they have been burned
a few times by editors, hangers-on, and wannabes.

Bill Lowenburg
Documentary/Fine Art Photography
<lowenbur@epix.net>