Re: Bromoil

Steve Avery ((no email))
Fri, 01 Mar 1996 02:03:50 +1100

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:29:20 GMT
From: tys@masadm1.mas.eurocontrol.be (Henk Thijs)
To: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: Bromoil

Jurek wrote,
>For some months ago, I bougth special brushers designed for
>Bromoil. ( Stoddard in England).
>
>This is a brush made by Polecat. I wonder how the Bromoilist can
>use this very soft brushers to put the ink on the paper.When I tried, the
>result was a disaster. The brushers did=A8nt take the ink.
>I use a stiff ink from Lithograph.1796 and Kentmere DocArt.
Jurek,
I use exactly the same ink, paper and even the brushes. I ordered brushes by
Klaus Pollmeier , Stoddard and , as a non plus ultra , the fitch hair brush
from David Lewis. The Stoddard brush is the stiffest one , so if you have a
problem there, you are really in trouble :-)
To check the ink maybe you can try the 'finger' method.
Make a pile of the ink -amount like a pea- and put your finger in it. Is your
finger going in smooth and totally covered with ink afterwards, it is too soft,
add powder pigment or magnesium carbonate to make it stiffer.
If it is not possible to penetrate the pile and your finger is not really
dirty , than your ink is too stiff: add a softer ink or medium.
If you can penetrate -Terry,I hope it is a normal usage of the word?- the pile
and by leaving it, there is a short feeling like grabbing in chewing gum
and your finger shows the color, but not all over... than the ink is correct .
For sure you can ink up with the softest brush (if you put the brush in the
ink and you pull it back there must be a short moment like pulling off tape
from your skin). Of course you also can use the harder brushes or a brayer for
inking and use the softest one to close the grain and do the finishing touch.
Hope this helps, bon courage.
greetings henk

------- End of Forwarded Message