Collections (was Re: Meeting or travelling portfolio?)

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 20:18:46 -0700 (MST)

On 26 Feb 96 Luis Nadeau wrote:
..
> Anyone else out there with important alt-photo collections? Just
> contemporary stuff made by your own students or real McCoys made one
> hundred years ago? Got anything (directories or images) available on the
> Net? Go ahead and blow your horn! The collections don't have to be big and
> you don't have to be in a large center either. This past fall I visited
..

The Center for Creative Photography (where I am employed) at the
University of Arizona in Tucson has a large collection of (mostly)
20th century (mostly) American (mostly) "art" photography. We have
approximately 70,000 prints in the fine print collection. Archive
materials include negatives, work prints, correspondences, etc. of
over 100 photographers including Adams, Anderson, Avedon, Bullock,
Callahan, Dahl-Wolfe, Feininger, Mortensen, Siskind, Smith, Sommer,
Strand, and Weston. There are a fair number of alt-processes
represented in the collection including both vintage historical and
contemporary works. Slides of most works in the collection are
available for educational use at a reasonable fee. (Some works
require permission of copyright holder for any use.) Anyone
interested in obtaining further information about our holdings and
services, please contact me directly off-list. Also, don't forget to
visit our web site.
Keith Schreiber
Rights and Reproductions
Center for Creative Photography