Re: Pyrogallol staining development

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.taos.nm.us)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:30:26 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, s carl=FCE=81=A228~k=B2=C6=F3=CF=D3[=D1=F2=F8>=BE=86=FB=
=B6=ED=C3=F9=CF=D2=99=F2=CE0`=94=F4Z=D1D=A3=AE%=D2=D3-=D3[3=FB=FBq=92=3D=
=AB=F5=9C king wrote:

> >=20
k=F8=FCxy=B49=D9=CB=A8[p=B0$=D9=DAa> > I have used his recipe for some time=
and have found H=ADL=F9
=CA=E6%=CFu}b=D6=A5!=A1< cnE=DCU=D3=A2sthat the=20
> > negatives processed in PMK pyro developer, maintain the beautiful=20
> > highlight details in subjects such as clouds, scenes where I would=20
> > like to maintain the *real* texture of snow (of which we do get our=20
> > fair share). There is no comparable developer. The pyro tanning=20
> > (stain) is produced in proportion to the amount of silver developed.
> > When processing, the negatives are PUT BACK into the developer=20
> > AFTER fixing and they *develop* that nice yellowish stain so=20
=CE#=D3S> > reminiscent of the *old* negatives=20
> >=20
> > Ken
> >
>=20
> I too am very fond of PMK for some of the same reasons mentioned=20
> above. With 35mm and roll-film negatives processed in PMK can
> have wonderful tonal gradations and great apparent sharpness.=20
> Processing sheet film can be something of a problem. Tray processing
> works fine but you must use gloves with Pyro because of its toxicity
> and I always wind up scratching my negatives with gloves. Processing
> in tubes like the BTZS tubes often does not work well because the back'of=
the
> negative does not come in contact with the developer, which results
> in uneven of the gelatin, or perhaps none.
>=20
> For the alternative processes the greatest problem with Pyro developed
> negatives (and this was mentioned a few months back in another thread)
=E7J=E9M#TE> is that the yellowish stain functions like an actinic filter a=
nd=20