Re: Dagguerrotypes and Equipment

Cynthia & Lincoln Turner (clturner@sirius.com)
Fri, 08 Mar 1996 09:16:02 +0000

Promethius wrote:

> Greetings again,
>
> I have received a word of caution and appreciate and the
> concern, but I am slightly zealous at this point and want to explore
> further. Indeed the process does look unhealthy. Therefore , I am looking
> for someone who constructs fuming boxes for the sensitizing or mercury
> tubes for the processing? I have seen the web pages on olden day processing
> and wonder if there are any enhancements to limit chemical poisoning.
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> Robin D.
>
> Myriad Splendor & Esoteric Sublimation
> http://www.sirius.com/~aether

Dear Robin,

A man named Jerry Spagnoli (pronounced span-yoli) here in San
Francisco is quite an accomplished Dagguerrotypist, and is listed in
the phone book. The results available today, however, are not what
they used to be in the mid-19th century. Differences in chemical
concentrations and ingrediants, but most importantly differences in
the method of sensitizing the plate (a safer method than before), are
the main cause. Speak with Jerry though, He's the expert. Also ask him
about the Dagguerrotype Society, you may be able to contact some other
people through them.

Good Luck,
Lincoln Turner