Re: Foxlee Process

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 01:17:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:
> This variation of the gum process was actually covered in an addendum to
> Poitevin's original French patent of 1855. See my _Gum Dichromate_ book,
> Chapter 1. I suspect it was a cure for which there was no real disease.
> While there were theoretical advantages, in practice it was not a magic
> formula that guaranteed much superior results.

I assume we're discussing the curious 2-page addendum tacked onto Puyo's
extensive (and wonderful!!!) exegesis on gum printing in the Jean Michel
Place book, Le Procede a la Gomme Bichromatee.

It seemed, as far as I could make out from the format, to have been
written by Puyo, and since Puyo has just completed 50 pages about classic
gum printing, perhaps he is worn out. And/or perhaps I was worn out from
reading 50 pages en francais with my high-school French dictionary. But it
didn't seem to hold out any wonders I felt I needed and I thought if it
was really good Puyo (or whoever) would have had more than 2 pages to say.

However, the book itself is a delight. (Repeating myself again tonight,
sorry.)

Cost about $12 in paperback a couple of years ago. Editions Jean-Michel
Place, 1985. 12, rue Pierre et Marie Curie 75005 Paris.
ISBN: 2-85893-063-5.

I've wondered, and wonder if anyone knows, if the Puyo exists in English.
I've never come across it. (Luis?) The Maskell and Demachy chapters appear
in English in Peter Bunnell's reprint "Non-Silver Photographic Processes,"
(naturally out of print, but probably findable).

Judy