Re: archive & gum printing problems!

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 00:24:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, TERRY KING wrote:
> After the first coat, size between coats. If you precoat with

Speaking of unnecessary elaboration, as I believe was mentioned this
evening a time or two, whyever would you want to size between each and
every coat when a preliminary coat of size hardened in glyoxal will last
for most average multi-coat gums? (Hint: Add some sodium carbonate, I
guess about 15 g/litre, to your glyoxal working solution. It cross links
the cross links or whatever, making the gelatine less soluble.)

> dichromated Gloy first you do not have to size at all. This is a Terry King
> invention, which in tribute to Judy, he has decided to release to the world as a
> Kingjudytype.

I'm thrilled. (And honest Terry I'm trying it. NG so far, but I'm sure
that's not your fault.)

> Lamp black is made from kerosene soot so the pigment oils its way into the
> paper. In general do not use black. Try neutral tint instead.

"Neutral tint," so called, stained the worst of any pigment I've used. And
I'll add that different gums handle different blacks differently. When I
switched to a heavier gum several formerly OK blacks wouldn't work with it.

> A lot of this has been covered, and more!!! Read the archive.

And Risa, if you're reading this far -- some hints for saving paper when
printing out the archive (Watch out for that Greg Schmitz. He's like
those 19th century photographers who wrote up those IMPOSSIBLE-to-do
things, like making a densitometer out of an old watch dial, and the
opening sentence was always "it's easy.")

If your computer has a global "change" utility, take out the line breaks
and make each line much wider. I use only half-inch margins on all sides.
Then change the type to 10 point, rather than the default 12 point. And
delete not just the big headers and the "funny" footers on screen (I save
only sender, date & subject line, which fits on two lines), but the
interior repetitions of entire posts that some people send with their
one-line reply. There's also of course a lot of other stuff (about for
instance things that aren't about gum printing) you can delete on
screen...... Have fun. You're gonna love it.

Judy