RE: Duplicating film

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 02:56:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Glenn Cannon (glennon@netcom.com) wrote:
> I tried this film and found it to be unsatisfactory. It lacks contrast,
> though I have been developing it with straight Dektol, as opposed to a lith
> developer (I was told that Dektol would work fine).

Something odd here. What I found in the Freestyle catalog was
labelled "camera speed duplicating film." I called Freestyle and after
various waits and switches, learned that this is their "new" version of
the old Freestyle "High Speed Duplicating" film. The only difference the
"expert" I reached could adduce was that the new CSD has greater density.

Since the major problem with the old HSD (with Dektol 1:10) was the
tendency to go too contrasty and this film would be even more contrasty,
why did it lack contrast? Perhaps it doesn't work with Dektol. (The
catalog says rapid acess, Ultratec or A&B, which don't, as far as I know,
do continuous tone.)

> We are using this dupe film at Cypress College (Orange County,
> California) with GREAT success, by using a developer made by Lauders.
> It's more concentrate than straight Dektol, but we mix it in varied
> dilutions (from 1:1 to 1:30) and get acceptable results for most
> processes. Has anyone else used it?

We'd like to .... Are you going to tell us who/where Lauders? Are you
getting continuous tone? What are exposure times like?

Judy