Re: last words

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:31:25 -0500 (EST)

Oh Richard, you have given me an opening which, if I had the proverbial Mack
Truck, I would drive it right through:

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, R.Farber/K.Sheridan wrote:
> Also Judy, being rational, how do you feel about the effectiveness of
> glyoxal vs formalin? Have you found the effects to be equivalent?

So I get to say (heh! heh!) READ THE ARCHIVE!!! We did a thread on it
last summer. But because you've been such a sport (and called me
rational) I'll summarize my findings in testing glyoxal vs. formaldehyde for
hardening one-coat of gelatine size on 5 or so different papers:

In no case was the glyoxal worse. In more than half the cases it was
better in that the pigment test showed distinctly less highlight staining.
I should add that that was the only criterion I could apply -- since I
couldn't (didn't) test how long each coating survived lengthy repeated
soaks.

I will also note that in class it has made a WORLD of difference. I mean
if we're getting cancer we're getting it in much greater comfort. And
finally, I will confess that I wrote the "hey fellas" message at 5 am when I
was a bit looser than my normally buttoned-up self. What you see now
(3:20 pm) is more the real me.

Judy

PS. A friend, off-list, e-mails me the suggestion that I should have a
signature line (or whatever you call it) because then people know they've
had every last drop of your composition, and he makes a couple of amusing
suggestions. Frankly I doubt my evil service provider provides this
service, but I do think of an apt one: "Read the Archive!"