Re: preservation of tintypes

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.EDU)
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 15:55:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Risa S. Horowitz wrote:

> I have a customer at the store who has noticed that a tintype which he has
> had for 5 years has begun to show obvious signs of oxidization. Can anyone
> provide me with some basic storage information for original tintypes to
> forward to this gentleman, and of any other techniques one may use to
> prevent further deteriorization?

The Tintype was invented by a professor @ Kenyon College in the US in
1856 and was a sheet of iron covered w/a black varnish and then
collodion. They are one-opf-a-kind and if not kept in a dry place will
ultimately (if the surface of the varnish is scrathed or broken) start to
"rust" or, as Risa says, oxidize. It must be kept dry ... other than
that, I'd surely give a call to the Geo. Eastman House in Rochester and
check out what they advise.
Jack
***The eye is the Pencil of Nurture***