Re: Re:Photogravure

David Morrish (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:12:19 -0230 (NDT)

> David Morrish <dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca> writes:
> >
> > I'm intrigued by the use of copy toner as a resist. How do you adhere
> > it to the plate? Heat? Fumes? Have you thought of trying it *OVER* the
> > dried gelatine resist? That technique works very well with rosin,
> > believe it or not.
>
> You are dusting over the resist after it has been sensitized and dried,
> but before exposure, adhesion, and development (washing out) - or, after
> the resist is exposed, adhered and developed? If the latter, please give
> more details. Doesn't heating the rosin also damage the gelatin? I can
> see that this would solve some of the problems of adhering the resist
> over a dusted plate. Of course, the secondary screen exposure you
> mentioned earlier also does that.
>
> Still, your comment made me curious.
>
> Carson Graves
> carson@ileaf.com

Yes, the rosin is dusted over the adhered, developed and dried resist (a
la Talbot) and the heat does not damage the gelatine, it only insures
that it i fully dry. Acclimatization to room humidity overnight is
advisable after adhereing the rosin. By applying the rosin after the
resits is on the plate, one can still use alcohol during the adhereing steps.
I must give credit to Jon Goodman for reviving this method. He uses it
all the time.

Dave Morrish