Re: Fresson

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 10:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Jim Hartmann wrote:

> I have followed the various threads regarding the Fresson process, and
> wonder if anyone could refer me to any texts which might help to cure my
> ignorance.
>
> I was fortunate to purchase a Sheila Metzner print at an auction a couple
> of years ago, and was asked this week by a friend who was looking at this
> particular print about its creation.
>
> I was told by the auction curator that the print was a fresson, and had
> been printed in France by a family who had been using this process for
> generations, but that they had discontinued operations. That is all I
> remember from the conversation.
>
> If anyone could point me to a resource which would help me understand, I
> would appreciate it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jim Hartmann

Jim,

Either of the following two books, by Luis Nadeau, are the most complete
descriptions of the process, history, etc. that I have found.

"History and Practise of Carbon Printing" by Luis Nadeau,
ISBN 0-9690841-0-2

"Gum Dichromate and other Direct Carbon Processes, from Artique to
Zimmerman" by Luis Nadeau, ISBN 0-9690841-4-5

There are a few other magazine articles that have appeared over the years
that are also informative. The one that always comes to my mind is 'Will
Yesterday's Color Outline Tomorrow's?', POP PHOTO, November, 1979 by Poli,
Kenneth Poli (former editor of Popular Photography)

You will also find some historical information in "The Keepers of Light"
by William Crawford, ISBN 87100-158-6. If you are interested in a other
references of possible Artique/Fresson formula's let me know and I can
steer you to another series of books and magazine articles.

In brief, what your going to find is that the process has been kept as a
trade secret for over 100 years. There has been some work done to create
an alternative and if you have an interest I could provide you with some
added information.

Getting back to your print, what is the subject matter and is it
monochrome or color? Karen has published two books(to my limited
knowledge) titled "Objects of Desire" and "Color" . . . does the print
appear in either of those books? I've had access to several prints over
the years and reproductions of them just don't do them justice. They seem
to carry a premium price in the US, I've seen a few Fressons for sale
whose asking price would be the most noteworthy thing that could be said
about the photograph(eye of the beholder...).

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA