Re: Mylar as base for carbon tissue

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mi.net)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:23:30 +0300

>On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, s carl king wrote:
>
>> Some months back there was a thread on making carbon tissue. Several
>> people on the list mentioned that Mylar could be used as a base,
>> including me, because a couple years back I coated 10-20 sheets of
>> tissue on this base without any problems. More recently however I
>> purchased some Mylar from Light Impressions and encountered a major
>> problem, mainly that the coating simply peeled off the base when it
>> dried. Does anyone have any idea how this might be avoided? Would like
>> to hear from those who have been using polyester bases for coatings.
>>
>> Sandy King
>> Sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu
>>

>Sandy,
>
>I've have no personal experience with Mylar but your note brought to mind
>some published information that might be of help. An old TAB book titled
>"How To Make Old-Time Photos" by John McDonald and Melba Smith Cole
>discusses a wet carbon method in Chapter 4 which utilizes Mylar. I believe
>there is an expired patent on this process, if I have a little time I'll

U.S. Pat. 2,381,234 (Oct. 22, 1943)

The patent was worthless anyway since the "invention" was covered in a
French patent of 1855.

This won't solve Sandy's problem though. Sandy, are your working conditions
significantly drier than they used to be because of the season or location
of your lab? There are several types of Mylar (polyester) but the material
sold by Light Impression should be the one for conservation purposes
without extra coatings.

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mi.net