Copy of: Shoot big

TERRY KING (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
01 May 96 16:07:47 EDT

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
TO: Clyde Soles, INTERNET:Clyde_Soles@nile.com
DATE: 01/05/96 21:03

RE: Copy of: Shoot big

Hi Clyde

> I'm just starting to shoot big (7 x 17) and on my first box of HP5+. Prior to
> this, I hadn't used Ilford film much. Currently I am shooting at 800 and
> processing for 13 min (double time) in TMAX RS developer using BTZS film
tubes.
> My goal is negs for pt/pd.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for film/developer
combos.
> I was going to try FP4

Despite all the fol de rols about Agfa con tone masking film, if you want to
make a good negative for pt/pd there is only one in camera film to use and that
is FP 4 which has the right grain structure to allow it to be over exposed and
over developed to give the fine grain, gradation and contrast for a really good
platinum print. I dish develop in Amidol which allows an 'N' of about ninety
seconds. In some ways I might recommend not doing so for when you make your own
prints this way everybody else's pt/pd prints will look tatty and nobody will
love you.

The largest in camera film I use is 10 x 8. When we have found it necessay to
enlarge we use Kodak Sep Neg 2 which again is the best available. Some regard
this as a fetish but if seeking the best is fetishism, I am a fetishist.

>hope that is helpful

Terry