Re: Over/Under Confusion

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com
Fri, 3 May 1996 23:42:40 GMT

TEST, TEST, TEST IT YOUR SELF !!! That is the alternative process workers
moto!!! I have trouble beleaving that you've understood Arentz correctly!
But in the interest of testing, take one negative "His" (or your
understanding of "His") way, and one "mine (for HP5+, which we started this
discusion with, EI 800 for "His" and EI 160 for mine). Shot a wide range
scene with both important high info, as well as IMPORTANT low values (zone
3, zone 2, zone 1). Keep good notes of what zones fall were. This is a
hard scene to find, disregard (for now) artistis concerns. Develope both
for 2 times the silver standard (I'll agree with your "reading" of Arentz
there!, I use 5:00 for silver, 10:15 for Platinum/palladium, and 13:30 for
Palladium, HC-110 30ml / L). Use "grade 7" (50/50 #1 and #2, 50/50
plat/pallad) and make your best print of each negative. This should settle
the discussion (and how long will this take, and only 2 pieces of film!!!).

As for a densitomiter, I don't own one either. I use my spot meter (with a
close up filter) and a 0.3 nutrel density filter to find my alternative
process film speeds. Why by equyipment that doesn't add to your "artistic"
output??????

Good luck, tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)

On Sat, May 4, 1996 7:17:20 AM, Clyde Soles wrote:

>Ouch, my head hurts ;-)

make
>in-camera negatives for platinum prints, a few folks suggested
overexposing and
>overdeveloping the negative. Dick Arentz however recommends (in his
booklet)
>underexposing one stop and developing 1 1/2 to 2 times normal (he uses
Tri-x Pro