Re: POP prints archival ?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 5 May 96 18:57 BST-1

> If they are still using the same plastic that they used when RC paper
> first came out, I suspect the same thing will happen that happened to the
> first RC print I made, and taped to a window facng the outside (the sun,
> God's UV source). After a couple of weeks, the surface of the print
> had become completely crazed, looking like a mud flat that had dried.
> Brittleness?
>
> Never have trusted the stuff since then. Stick with paper.

Firstly the materials have improved greatly since they first came out - and
so are likely to survive somewhat longer.

Secondly for archival purposes materials are likely to be kept largely in
darkness.

Third since it is so much easier to wash RC materials there are likely to be
less problems arising from inadequate processing. I think many so called
'archival' prints from photographers would actually fail if tested.

I think the question is far less black and white than you suggest

Peter Marshall

Family Album/Gay Pride - http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/index.html
Also on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Future Press and elsewhere... E-Mail: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk