Re: Grrrrrr (was Ilford Xp-2 & Mini-Labs & NYC)

Edward Meyers (aghalide@phantom.com)
Mon, 6 May 1996 18:38:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 1996, Robert Hudyma wrote:
> > I just saw the Sudek exhibition at the Internationl Center for Photography
> > in New York City. Truly outstanding. Some prints, of the same negative were
> > printed in a brown tone, then a cool tone and also on silver-gelatine. I found
> > these images to be especially informative.
>
> A propos of which, I've wanted to send a message headlined "Who Is Sarah
> Boxer?" because a person writing under that name wrote a review of Josef
> Sudek's pigment prints in last Friday's NY Times (5/3/96) which annoyed me
> so much I wanted to STRIKE BACK! Of course the Times photo "criticism"
> has long been, let us say, imperfect. Charles Hagan (he of "the task of
> photography") seems to have vanished -- maybe Boxer is his reincarnation?
>
> I think I've seen the byline before, but not I think in photography, which
> would confirm my impression that the woman is not only presumptuous to
> make the sweeping statements she does, and to damn, as she does, with
> faint praise, but out of her depth. OK, whatever, if she's two phD's in
> History of Photography, she *is* on this subject out of her depth.
>
> And for some reason (probably over-educated) obsessed with Sudek's
> "giving up" modernism (that this is like giving up an evil mother-in-law
> doesn't seem to have registered), but concedes, finally, "It wasn't
> such a bad bargain either." Whew! I am relieved.
>
> Grrrrrrrr. (We ignore the Times's judgments on all art media, as far as
> intelligence is concerned, but the incontrovertible fact is that they are
> the most influential arts publication in NYC hence arguably in world,
> being read by most of the supposedly more influential, certainly more
> clued-in critics, & comes out while show is still up!)
>
> Judy

Where is Charles Hagan? I believe he lives in Brooklyn.
As for the mighty N.Y. Times... You will see fewer and fewer
of your favorite writers. You see, the N.Y. Times has decided to
tell their freelance writers to give the Times all rights to the
traditional one-time use story assignments. Times wants to resell
stories via the electronic media and not pay the writers for it.
Many writers have decided not to accept this contract.
The National Writers Union (i'm a member) and other writers
groups have banded together (sort of) to bring sense to the Times.
Stay tuned.
Ed Meyers