Re: Coating

Jonathon Russell (Hylandscot@voyager.net)
Tue, 07 May 1996 20:35:33 +0000

George L Smyth wrote:

> SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> >
> > George,
> > For cyanotypes, I have found a foam brush superior to a regular
> > brush in so far as getting an even coating is concerned. Some platinium
> > printers use a glass rod for coating, but in my opinion, that is
> > not necessary for cyanotype. I would start with a new foam brush and
> > not use it for anything else.
> >

> I'm using a new foam brush, but I'm concerned that the overlapping that
> is necessary might alter the density. That's why I brush in all four
> directions, hoping to minimize this possibility. Is that as good as it
> gets?
>
> Thanks - george

George,
I have found that to get the best coating for any of the "handcoated"
processes, it is necessary to brush (foam or hake) as fast as possible
and in all directions. Brushing side to side; up and down can leave
streaks. I tell my students that coating is an art and takes practice.
We practice using colored water and kinda "dance" around the coating
table. Must be seen to be believed - but it works. Once you've found
the groove, you don't lose it.
My two cents...
Jonathon