Re: your mail

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 8 May 1996 12:59:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Richard Sullivan wrote:
> and have one tip that might seem heretical to many and that is the use of
> Kodak Photoflo in the emuslion. The use of 1 drop of straight KPF to @ 20
> total drops of emulsion will greatly enhance the dMax and prevent much
> washoff. It appears that we have over the years become obsessive with a good
> hard sizing. The KPF's role is to cut through the sizing letting the
> emulsion penetrate into the paper. I am also using 1 or 2 drops of glycerine
> per 20 drops total emulsion as this seems to moderate the "sink" effect and
> give more time to coat, it also slows the drying somewhat as the humidity
> here in Santa Fe at often is less than 20%. Mike Ware suggests the use of
> Tween in his Argotype process notes to do something similar.

That's "Tween 20" and it's actually polyoxyethylenesorbitan monolaurate
(Peter Marshall reveals). I've tried to find out if that's same chemical
as PhotoFlo, but no one answered. Apparently, however, does same thing.

I also have a dispersal agent from Golden Pigments, octylphenoxy
polyethoxy ethanol (for short). Doesn't work with gum.

Judy