(no subject)

Jonathon Russell (Hylandscot@voyager.net)
Fri, 10 May 1996 09:07:30 +0000

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> I have also been doing some intensive investigations into the pt/pd process
> and have one tip that might seem heretical to many and that is the use of
> Kodak Photoflo in the emuslion. The use of 1 drop of straight KPF to @ 20
> total drops of emulsion will greatly enhance the dMax and prevent much
> washoff. It appears that we have over the years become obsessive with a good
> hard sizing. The KPF's role is to cut through the sizing letting the
> emulsion penetrate into the paper. I am also using 1 or 2 drops of glycerine
> per 20 drops total emulsion as this seems to moderate the "sink" effect and
> give more time to coat, it also slows the drying somewhat as the humidity
> here in Santa Fe at often is less than 20%. Mike Ware suggests the use of
> Tween in his Argotype process notes to do something similar.
>

> Dick Sullivan
> Bostick & Sullivan
> Santa Fe, New mexico

Dick,
Am I to understand that you are using Kodak Photo Flo 200 straight
from the bottle, uncut?
Also, at one time, you were recommending the use of polyvinyl alcohol
as an additive; is the glygerine better? Have you ever tried Liquitex
(diluted 1:12) as a final soak for the platinum/palladium print used
just before drying?
ONE LAST QUESTION!!! Would Heico brand Perma Wash be a substitute for
Kodak's Hypo Clearing solution as a clearing agent?
Regards,
Jonathon