Re: a propos of a propos

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Tue, 14 May 1996 12:29:15 +1000

Cynthia Glunt wrote:

> Is there a list that is more appropriate (read "friendlier") for
> the beginner so we don't bother you with our silly questions?
> I would gladly go there!
>
> CG

Damn,
I hope that isn't the impression I gave. This list is meant to be
friendly, and I generally frown on anyone that isn't. Thankfully, most
of the bitching and flaming goes on in private email, but if you have a
complaint about the list, fire it at me. If you don't get any
satisfaction from me, feel free to mail it to the list.

I don't take a dictatorial stance with the list, and I can take a lot
of abuse (just ask my wife :-)). I only ask that we try and keep things
at least related to photography, preferrably directly related to
alternative processes (although you will find a lot of stuff that isn't
directly related in the archives, simply because no-one complained).

If you have problems with the list, email me. I don't mind answering
"newbie" questions for those unfamiliar with the internet (quite a few
people here will atest to that). I handle questions all the way from how
to use a mailer to backtracking mail routing errors. Feel free to ask
(although sometimes it may take a day or two to get a response when I'm
busy).

However, a lot of the questions asked can readily be answered by
looking at the FAQ. Using the FAQ (frequently asked questions) can save
you the time it takes to get a response, and frequently has more detail
than you will get in a quick reply. It also has references to other
sources of information, so you can get detailed information if you are
interested.

If you have questions about the FAQ, feel free to post them. This way
you will post a more specific question, and will likely get a more
directed response, which will be more beneficial for all concerned.

The archives are an invaluable source of information, and you shouldn't
overlook them. But they are rather large. One of these days I'll start
condensing and categorizing the information in them, and hopefully
they'll become more "user-friendly". In the mean time, I suggest you do
what I do every now and then (on this list and others), and that is grab
an archive and read it at your leisure. It's something interesting to do
when traffic is low and it's raining out :-)

As far as I know, this is the only resource for alternative
photographic processes on the net (outside of a few web pages which are
process specific). If you're interested in a more general photographic
list, there are several available, as well as the newsgroups. There is
also a newsgroup (rec.photo.darkroom) for standard processes if that is
where your interests lie. There is the PHOTOHST and conservators lists
for photographic history and conservation, and lists related to the
aesthetic and artistic aspects of photography. But as far as I know,
this is the only alt-photo available.

I've tried to keep the list free and open. I don't like the repressive
nature of some lists I've been on, and have tried to steer this list
away from that. If you have suggestions about how to improve this list,
feel free to let me know via personal email, and be assured I do take
notice.

I apologise if you feel you cannot contribute to the list. I assure you
this is not the case.

cheers
-steve