Ziatype beta

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Tue, 21 May 1996 03:33:24 -0600

Philippe Moroux writes:

>Zazie a sa visite au zoo, Zazie s'amusait de vers luisant d'Isidore Izou.
>Quand zut un vent blizzard, fusant de son...
>..Ziatypes.
>
>I have just spent 3 days in France. This is not New Mexico, definitely. Rain,
>rain, rain on my Normandy. This means 100% humidity and the Sunbeam was not
>necessary. Temperature was 7 centigrade (yes, le printemps est la, et moi je
>suis las).

>I forgot to take my artificial sunlamp and my exposures were about 4 hours.

>Are there any inconvenients to substitute HCl by Tartaric Acid?

>The Hahnemuhle (my favorite for kallitype) worked fine, with quite a good
>contrast (4+4+8drops).
>Aquarelle Arches from ARJOMARI didn't work at all. There is something is this
>paper that react with the chemicals (I noticed that also with kallitype).
>
>This could be a real problem for me to humidifie bigger format paper. How?
>Special foggy cupboard?
>
>Philippe Moroux

Philippe,

It's good to hear that the Ziatype works in Normandy, things always work
well in France. Meese (George I believe) was the head of Kodak in the 30's
and had to send someone to investigate the laboratory at Kodak Francaise
when he received a scientific paper from there proving that film could be
developed in Burgundy wine. C'est la vie!

Yes tartaric acid should work as any other acid as my testers are proving.
As for the neutral black, it's something different for a change. I am still
trying to get a warm tone. Soon maybe, I hope. Too bad about the long print
times. I get one or two minute prints here on badly overexposed negs. If
it's this foggy and cool now, it should be a good wine year.

Thanks for the report.

Dick S.
~
~