Copy of: Re: Copy of: Re: Copy of: buying Gum Arabic

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Mon, 27 May 1996 12:23:18 +1000

This message bounced. It is originally from Terry King
(101522.2625@CompuServe.COM). If you wish to reply privately, please
direct your email in that direction, rather than mine...

------------------------<included message follows>----------------------

From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
TO: Judy Seigel, INTERNET:jseigel@panix.com
DATE: 24/05/96 20:34

RE: Copy of: Re: Copy of: Re: Copy of: buying Gum Arabic

Judy

> I mean what are the criteria that make a gum "higher quality"?
> Thickness? Clarity? Strictly speaking if you want gum-14 and it's
> light in color, it's high quality for your purpose. So that's what
> isn't clear.....

I would not have used the phrase myself as my only criterion is
suitability for the purpose. But if I am looking for the best gradation
and subtlety I would go for 17 Baume gum arabic used with a paper
negative. If I were looking for consistently good results with speed and
cost effectiveness then the gum arabic gives way to Gloy.

It's pouring with rain. I had the heater on in the car on the way home
from the print studio. The weather forecasters tell us that this is the
coldest May since 1657 nine years before the great fire of London. Must
be global warming ! !

Terry