RE: School of photography in Prague

Russell Cothren (rcothren@comp.uark.edu)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:16:40 -0500 (CDT)

>On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Ginger Sheridan 6145934280 wrote:
>> The Prague House of Photography (representing the major Male Czech and
>> Slovak photographers - and I do not say this in spite, just fact, not
>>one female
>> photographer is represented, though the curator is female) has its
>own Web Page.
>
>Thanks Ginger for making this point ...... I made a similar point not one
>month ago about the technical experts in photo magazines, got my throat
>jumped down ....
>
>Judy
Personaly i would love to see more work and representation of and
about female photograhers. I have found that women can touch on or
represent issues in a way that a man cannont. I guess i am talking art and
essays and journalism. A "grip and grin" shot is just that.
While working in a studio during my first job i met a young lady
that was wonderful w/ children. Edward Weston often said that a woman can
make photographs of children where the gruffness of a man falls short. As i
moved on i have meet more female photographers that can get into places and
take and produce images that an anglo/male would be lucky to create. People
that have been battered (usually women and children) are less likely to
open up and trust someone else (especialy males) w/ there emotions and
feelings. Donna Ferrato has worked for years on domestic violence. The
first time i saw her images it was quite apperant that her subjects trusted
her. Some people just didnt seem to care who was around while they beat and
bruised. A friend of mine "Jennifer Teeter" a photojournalist from the
korean war has also made images of the people in korea and the soldiers
that have a signature of "woman".
I love to see , but most of all feel the interpatation created by women
photographers. Any way i gotta go and and Ginger i will write you privatly
about the school O' photo.
Good day!
Ladies.

Russell Cothren