RE: School of photography in Prague and the Assignment of Qualities to Men and Women Photographers

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:58:57 +1000

This message from Judy (jseigel@panix.com) bounced (the listproc thought
it was blank).

As a point of note, please keep subject lines to less than 60 characters
:-)

----------------------<begin included message>-----------------------

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Ronald J. Silvers wrote:

> I totally support Ginger's and Judy's rejection of the practice of
> excluding women photographers from exhibitions.

Thanks Ron, but please permit a qualification. I don't think we were
talking about anything so deliberate as a "practice of excluding women
photographers from exhibitions," which implies conscious policy, which I
seriously doubt occurs, but an atmosphere in which the men are noticed
and important and the women are not. However my own reference was not to
exhibitions at all, but to the "experts" in magazines, who are all men.

Although I realize this is not the rec/feminist/photo list (or
wreck-feminist either), I admit that my own consciousness of the issue
was raised when my letter to "Photo Techniques" with some observations
and corrections on Phil Davis's gum printing article was neither
acknowledged nor printed. There has not in fact been an article in that
magazine by a woman on anything but hand coloring in the nearly 10 years
I have subscribed.

Which is to say, although I realize Russell Cothren meant well, he has
well and truly goofed -- as in, after the women finish photographing the
children, getting their battered sisters to relate, and doing a little
hand coloring, they can go for coffee.

Cheers,

Judy