Re: Re: Clearing dichromate

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:36:41 +1000

This message bounced.... (originally from TOMF2468@PIPELINE.COM)

-----------------------<included message follows>--------------------

On Fri, Jun 7, 1996 7:09:08 PM, TERRY KING wrote:

>Judy
>
>You say
>
>" in fact in our water it
>doesn't take all those trickling hours. If the thing isn't overexposed,
>and isn't over-dichromated, an hour or so in water generally clears down
>to naked pigment."
>
>My comment was based on a very delicate blue in the gum print of the view of
>which I gave you a screen print. It did take six hours to get it back to the
>colour I first thought of.

SNIP
<"However, my arithmetic says the negative range of .7 you refer to above
<would be less than 5 steps on the 21-step.
<SNIP
>Terry

OK.... indulge a relative beginner (in gum): are we talking about a 1 to 6
hour wash after all the printings and a clearing bath?? If not, wouldn't
the entire exposure simply wash off?? Or am I missing something here?

Secondly (perhaps out of this threads discussion): Can someone explain to
me the "correct" way to determin density range with a step wedge. I (in my
isolation) have been taking my zone 8 value (very light greys with just a
"touch of detail", say it is step #13) and subtracting my step 2 value (as
dark as I can get and still hold a "touch of detail", say it is step 3). I
then take step 13 minus step 3 equals 10 steps or 5 stops. It works for
me, but is this standard??? Obviously, I've consentrated on the zones at
the threshold of detail, but some things I've read suggest that zone 1-9
(threshold of tone) might be the intenational standard?? I may soon be
teaching, and I've never understood if my method matches the rest of the
world.