Re: Step tablets & Zone system

tomf2468@pipeline.com
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 02:09:53 GMT

On Thu, Jun 13, 1996 3:44:22 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 tomf2468@pipeline.com wrote:
>> Actually I didn't use Roman numerals, I know I'm "incorrect", but I
always
>> forget that. We all use some form of densitometry (spelling???). If we

>> call it by zones or by steps we are just changing words, not actions.
>
>But most of the time Roman numerals are used, so we have to make that
>extra mental calculation.<SNIP>

Agreed, that is probably why I always "forget" (yaaaa, that kind of
"forget"). Roman numerals should only be found on watches and clocks!

>But the system is also very flawed. <SNIP>
>With the 21-step (or the 31-step, or whatever) the numbers are written
>right on the tablet. You learn them through all the senses -- by speaking,

>reading and seeing, not just by a mental calculation. By seeing *and
having
>printed one million times* <SNIP>

Gee, sounds like you are doing as much testing as the zone system folks
:-( I really do beleave that we are both doing the same thing, with the
same aim, just using differant words. I also have printed those 21 steps
"way too many times". I just feel that the zone system language (and much
of it's practice) is of great help in comunicating. Most people knew what
I ment when I reffered to a zone 8 value (opps....no roman numerals). But
even then I included a more verbal description (very light grey with just a
hint of detail). I wonder why the "heart felt" negative (no pun intended)
reaction the the word "zone system"???

>If the Zone system came up with such a tablet it would be a help <SNIP>

Actually the most popular modern (post Ansel Adams) zone system is probably
Phil Davis and "Beyond the Zone System". Guess what his major testing
tools are? A step table, a spot meter, and lots of test prints. Sound
familar?

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)