Re: the books (was developing gum)

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mi.net)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:57:40 +0300

>On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, TERRY KING wrote:
>> As you know
>> Focal Press consider that with the Scopick and the Gum Oil and the
>>alternative
>> light book, the market is saturated. Any comments ?

In recent months I have had a lot of offlist discussions about this and
some people mentioned that they had the feeling that Focal had been
scraping the bottom of the barrel for a while. Something to do with the
choice of what they publish and the quality of the research I guess.
..
>The Gum Oil book is widely listed, and so presumably widely bought, but I
>doubt that people read it. I have not heard of any successful work in the
>process, nor come across mention of the book except once on this list
>(generally disparaging) and in the venues of its sale. The author's work
>illustrating magazine articles on the process is conceptually south of
>Hallmark Cards and multi-klutzy..

I don't know of a single person working with the gum-oil process.

>However, I would think that a person with a serious interest in hand coated
>paper would want every book s/he could lay hands on -- but what do I

You took the words right out of my mouth:-)

>know, I voted for Adlai Stevenson.

Adlai Stevenson who?

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mi.net