Re: liquitex

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Bas van Velzen wrote:

> Liquitex seems
> >good to remplace gelatin sizing, but is it archival?
> >
> >Alain
>

> If you can find out what is *IN* Liquitex I will find out if it is archival
> for you.

Liquitex is acrylic. We have run several threads on its archivality (for
instance I quoted Marc Golden of Golden Acrylics on the topic in
February). There was a big hooha a while back about it yellowing, but
this was proved to be due to impurities in the support. It is accepted as
archival.

However, it's a lousy sizing to replace gelatin for gum printing. (Quick,
what's "lousy" in French? Closest I can thing of is "merde.")

I have done *extensive* testing of many dilutions and kinds of Liquitex
and Golden Acrylic gloss and matt medium as a size for gum printing. In
*****no***** case was the tone, grain, clarity, clearing or depth better
than and usually worse (often much worse) than the plain paper. Also, the
emulsion peeled off the paper too easily at any dilution less than 1 to
10. Also it gave a not-nice feel to the paper.

However, Glyoxal hardens gelatine very nicely, better than formaldehyde in
fact, and is far less toxic than formaldehyde. We've talked about this a
lot. It's in the archive, it's all over the archive.

Judy