Re: Density (of Language!)

JKSchreibe@aol.com
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 06:18:47 -0400

Peter Marshall writes:

>For the benefit of all non-native English speakers:
>
>An anorak is of course a hooded waterproof garment which has to be pulled on

>over the head as it does not open fully down the front. Anoraks are the kind

>of people who are almost always seen in such garments and are the kind of
>people who spend ages typing into computer terminals and always have the
>latest software and are always fiddling with their computers- or in
>photography, testing materials and equipment but never actually doing
>anything beyond this. They can probably tell you the characteristics of
>every current Nikon (or Canon) camera and lens. Closely related to anoraks
>are techies, nerds and train-spotters.

I too was wondering about this peculier use of the word "anorak". Perhaps
both native and non-native speakers of English may be interested to learn
that "anorak" comes to us from the Inuit (of Greenland) by way of Danish. An
alternate spelling is *annoraaq*. I must confess that I don't get the
connection to nerds, etc., however, the Inuit and other Arctic peoples are
remarkably well adapted to the environment in which they live which is
certainly more than can be said for most of us -- just look at our so called
fashion industry {;-}. Seriously though, I think it's rather sad that this
word is used colloquially in this way. I guess out here in the desert I've
ever seen a nerd, techie, zonie, etc in an anorak.

Cheers,
Keith