Re: Density Range

Mike Coslo (mjc5@psu.edu)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:26:27 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

> I'm sorry Klaus, you're wrong here. The Zone system is a particular kind
> of sensitometry, with its own protocol, terms, and methods. If the term
> has spread to mean any use of sensitometric controls at all, that would be
> sloppy at best, like saying "whether you call it cooking or lean cuisine
> makes no difference.

Your definition of the zone system is entirely too strict. If you were to extend the
logic to alt. processes, you and Terry K. are not performing any processes that could be
named the same, as your discussions of your techniques attest to.

For my own use, I haven't made a graph or plotted a curve in about 5 years. And the
"testing" I do on new papers and emulsions is minimal, usually takes only a couple rolls
(yes rolls) or sheets. But I do take multiple meter readings, adjust contrast and if my
prints don't print with the selected areas at the zones I want, I go back and find out why.

Now does this mean that I am following some process that should be named the Careless
Zone System? I suppose that you could, but what would be the point? It is the zone system
nonethless.