Re: RETRY: Re: Formaldahyde

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Tue, 02 Jul 1996 13:38:35 +1000

This message bounced. Note the original sender.

-----------------------<included message follows>-----------------------

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 02:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: RETRY: Re: Formaldahyde

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996 imagwkrs@midcoast.com wrote:

> > It's not *listed* as hazardous material, tho of course that doesn't
> > stop anyone from making the charge. Richard Sullivan says he's going
> > to have it in the fall, which will be a great boon.
> >
> > Judy
>
> I'm surprised Formaldehyde (AKA: Methylene Oxide) is not listed as
> hazardous material because it has been assigned the EPA Hazardous
> Waste I.D. #U122, which means "correct" disposal is necessary.

I'm sorry, we got our antecedents crossed: The "it" above refers to
glyoxal, which I'm quite certain (recalling thread on the topic last
fall) is not listed as hazardous. Which was the point of my point:
There's no reason to use formaldehyde any more. Mike Ware told us, and I
(among others no doubt) confirmed by testing, that glyoxal does, not
just as good a hardening job as formaldehyde, but better -- less
staining.

Richard Sullivan says he expects to have -- glyoxal -- in the fall.
Someone else posted that Bryant Labs (I think it was Bryant) has it now
if you can't wait.

Judy