Re: The creative photo chemist

tomf2468@pipeline.com
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:32:39 GMT

On Tue, Jul 2, 1996 12:36:56 PM, Risa wrote:

>speaking of experimenting, and trying things new (for me, new, for me)
>(and Mike R, gimme a call on this!), I just picked up some 4x5 FP4
>(meep, terry), to figure out if I can make it work in my darkroom
>either/both enlarging and contacting onto it. If it does (meaning, If i
>can do it), i'll try 8x10 for my gums.<

I use HP-5 for this, as FP-4 was higher contrast (for me). But, try 5:00
in HC-110 (diluted 25ml strait solution per liter) at 70 degrees F,
followed by 1 to 3 minutes in paper developer (I use zone 6). The range is
due to differant colors (pigments) needing differant density ranges. A
friend who got a "great deal" on outdated 12x20 FP-4 uses stronger HC-110
and no paper developer for his enlarged platinums.

I find the paper developer "opens" up the highlights nicely. I keep
meaning to try this approach with the Freestyle direct positive film.
Perhaps the longer dev time in the HC-110 would allow better shadow
separation??

tomf2468 (Tom Ferguson)